Employment and Interns
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
The Director of Operations (full-time, year-round) oversees the daily operations of the Maltz Jupiter Theatre, including front of house, concessions, volunteers, box office, information systems, custodial, facility maintenance and capital improvements. The Director of Operations is also responsible for coordinating and negotiating co-productions, and overseeing the facility during all special events, including fundraising and marketing events, and theatre rentals. The Director of Operations reports to the Producing Artistic Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee front of house, concessions, volunteers, box office, information systems, custodial, facility maintenance, and capital improvements, in both a supervisory capacity and a hands-on capacity. Specifically, in addition to supervising staff and volunteers, this position requires occasional ticket sales, patron interaction, bar sales, purchasing for and stocking the bars, purchasing for and stocking custodial needs, hands-on facility maintenance, computer and server maintenance, and significant problem resolution.
- Work with the Producing Artistic Director and the Director of Finance to make operational decisions related to facilities, infrastructure, information technology, capital improvements, and other operational problems as they arise.
- Plan and execute all special events. This may include event set-up (tables, chairs, sound equipment, etc.), ensuring that lighting, sound and air conditioning are functioning, supervising volunteers, and whatever else may be necessary to run a successful event.
- Work with the Producing Artistic Director in coordinating and negotiating co-productions.
- In collaboration with the Technical Director, manage the facility for all limited engagements and theatre rentals.
- Hire, negotiate with, and supervise outside contractors and vendors related to concessions, box office systems, information systems, custodial, facility maintenance, and capital improvements.
- Direct reports include Operations Manager, Box Office Supervisor, House Managers, and Volunteer Coordinators.
- Attend all staff meetings.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Able to multitask in a fast-paced environment while maintaining strict attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including both the ability to influence others and to take charge of situations, as well as the ability to collaborate creatively to solve problems.
- Strong understanding of theatre operations at producing organizations.
- Able to establish, manage and drive projects to completion.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, required. Knowledge of box office ticketing software preferred, and experience implementing new systems a plus. Network knowledge a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, in English.
- Able to work evenings and weekends.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. for distances of up to 100 feet.
Hours and Compensation:
Varies weekly but must be able to work nights and weekends depending on show schedule and needs of the theatre.
Attention, energetic volunteers!
There are numerous and various volunteer positions available at the Maltz Jupiter Theatre year-round. Here is a brief description of some of them:
Bartenders: Form a team of 3-4 people, or become part of an established team, and sign up for a matinee or evening shift. No bartending experience? Don't worry, we'll train you!
Poster distribution: Volunteers distribute beautiful posters to the business community for each of our productions.
Wardrobe: Work backstage to help organize, alter, repair or create new costumes for main season and educational Conservatory shows. All levels of sewing skills useful. Come wee what happens "behind the seams!"
Ushers: Ushers are needed for matinee, evening and weekend performances as a member of a team.
Box office: Extensive computer knowledge is not necessary, but if you can point and click, you're qualified!! What we do require is great customer service, a love of the theatre, and 4-8 hours per week (mostly nights and weekends). Training will be provided. If interested, please call Jay Johnson (Box Office Supervisor) or Shannon Murphy (Assistant Box Office Supervisor) at 561-575-2223 and ask for either one.
If you are interested in learning more about our volunteer program opportunities, please call: